Attention Ladies: We’d love to hear from you! Your questions are driving the discussions. Don’t hesitate to comment, especially on the “Can We Talk” series as well as “Glowing with Mrs. Stafford”. Without you there is no discussion, so don’t be shy! Also, make sure to read to the end of this post to learn how to enter the Glowing with Mrs. Stafford Giveaway:)
Q: “I am 48 going through perimenopause and my skin is horrible. I get these really dry eruptions on my face that break out and look bad. Help!” ~ Jen
A: OK, hold on Jen, I’ve got you covered! I went through exactly what you are going through right now. I know it can be very frustrating but there is a light at the end of the tunnel:)
First of all, your skin is reacting to hormonal issues, which you probably already know. We women are so lucky, it never seems to end does it!? But I digress, the key here is to start slow with a light skincare regimen and try to get your skin to a healthy, happy place again. Using products that are kind to your skin will help. By this, I mean nothing abrasive. No scrubs or treatments that will dry out your skin even more. You need to calm your skin with GENTLE products.
1. To start, one of my first posts I did on my blog was specifically for a simple Acne Treatment which I’m attaching here to help clear up those breakouts. It’s a quick six-step process in which all of the products are great for helping calm the skin. Most people tend to over-treat their breakouts. Either they use too many products at once not allowing time for any of them to work, or they overuse a harsh product that irritates the skin even more. I know it can be tempting to do these things since breakouts are no fun, but my advice is to take a step back and take a deep breath. If you stick to a simple regimen like the one above, with products that are gentle enough, while also treating problem areas, then you should start to see results.
If all of these are new products for you though make sure to use one product at a time, to test out how your skin reacts to each. This way if you do have a reaction you can pinpoint the product and take that out of your regimen. I do this with all the new products I try because I have extremely sensitive skin. I have a feeling this won’t happen with any of these products, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry. Everyone’s skin is unique and something that is fine for me might not work with you. But again all these products are extremely well made, highly reviewed, and meant to calm the skin.
2. To address your second issue of extremely dry skin I wrote a blog listing my Top 5 Favorite Moisturizers, linked here. All of these all miracle workers and should do the job! Once you get your breakouts under control it’s essential to find a great moisturizer to keep your skin glowing and hydrated! A lot of women, especially younger women, don’t understand the importance of moisturizing your skin every day. If your skin is prone to acne then your most likely using spot treatments, which is a step in the Acne Regime I linked above. It’s important to balance that out with a good moisturizer so you’re not dealing with dry skin that inflames your problem areas even more.
3. Once your skin is healthy and feeling back to normal you can move on to the next step in skincare. There are so many products that are available over the counter and things can become very confusing. So many different ingredients and what do they all mean!
Well, one ingredient that I feel is a must in my skin regimen is Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs). As your skin ages, it is necessary to start using products that contain (AHA). Products such as Drunk Elephant’s T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial Mask (with 25% AHA + 2% BHA) or First Aid Beauty’s Facial Radiance Pads have the ingredient AHA. These products gently exfoliate the skin and will leave you with radiant looking skin. Glycolic Acid, which is a form of AHA, will improve discoloration and enlarged pores. Lactic Acid, another form of AHA, which is a very gentle AHA and is great for sensitive skin.
I know that got a little scientific but believe me I did my research. If you’re still confused just comment and I will try to clarify.
4. Finally, add a Vitamin C product to your routine. It works wonders! This month we are including the Glow Recipe’s Pineapple-C Brightening Serum for the Glowing with Mrs. Stafford Giveaway. I love this product for brightening the skin and delivering antioxidants to protect the skin.
1. So start slow and easy.
2. Be consistent in your routine.
3. Add in one new product at a time, such as a Retinol, Vitamin C, or AHA.
I hope this helps. Jen, keep me posted on your progress and remember we’re all in this together!
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN GLOWING WITH MRS. STAFFORD COLUMN:
Ask your questions in the comment section below for a chance to be featured in next month’s Glowing with Mrs. Stafford column. I will answer one question in detail each month and make sure to do all my research to give the most informed answer I can provide!
Since I started this blog I have received many compliments and questions on my skincare routine. Women have asked, “what is my secret” and honestly it’s a combination of multiple things. I use many different products, and tend to switch up my routine often. Staying out of the sun, and wearing sunscreen is a huge one. Finally, I have not been shy about the fact that I get Botox and filler. I even made a video of myself getting Botox injected which you can find on my Youtube channel. I have written some blog posts about the beauty products I use and routines based on the season or specific skin problems.
Glowing with Mrs. Stafford is my take on an advice column based around skincare. Each person has unique skin and their own issues they would like answered. Glowing with Mrs. Stafford is my idea of how to share my knowledge on this topic.
Basically, this is a place where all of you can ask questions about you’re personal skin issues. Ask me about certain beauty products you might want to try, or even about treatments such as lasers or Botox since I’ve done it all! All and any questions are welcome (concerning these topics).
We’re also running a giveaway to celebrate our monthly Glowing with Mrs. Stafford Advice column. I will pick one beauty product and one winner at the end of each month. All of the products will be bought with my own money, and products I have personally used and loved.
This month the giveaway is the Glow Recipe’s Pineapple-C Brightening Serum.
This month’s selection for our giveaway is a relatively new product for me from Glow Recipe’s line. I have been using the Pineapple-C Brightening Serum for over 4 months now and love the results I see. I always have a Vitamin C product in my routine and this one, in particular, is excellent for sensitive skin.
Vitamin C is a key ingredient to achieve glowing skin. It is made to brighten and tighten your skin’s appearance while also providing your skin with antioxidants. The pineapple juice helps create bright, smooth skin while the Chamomile calms the skin making it perfect for those of us with sensitive skin. If you follow my blog you know I love any product with Hyaluronic Acid. This ingredient is the gold standard for hydration and it will visibly plump the skin for that healthy, hydrated look we are going for. Also, a bonus is that the packaging is way too adorable!
*Note: When I’m recommending any skincare item I will always test the product for at least 30 days, most times longer. I feel you need to see how the product works over time, the benefits and results, which in most cases does not happen with just one use.
Price Point – $49
Size- 1 OZ.
The giveaway will take place on social media, see below to learn how to enter.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN THE GLOWING WITH MRS. STAFFORD GIVEAWAY:
We are doing it both on Instagram and Facebook because I realize not everyone is on Instagram or vice versa. At the end of the month I will pick one winner. I will contact the winner through your DMs (direct messages) so keep an eye out!