Attention Ladies: We’d love to hear from you! Your questions are driving the discussions. Don’t hesitate to comment, especially on the “Can We Talk” series as well as “Glowing with Mrs. Stafford”. Without you there is no discussion, so don’t be shy! Also, make sure to read to the end of this post to learn how to enter the Glowing with Mrs. Stafford Giveaway:)
Q: ”Hello Mrs. Stafford,
I am currently 60 years old. My skincare question is “how should I take care of hyperpigmentation or dark spots from sun damage? I don’t like wearing too much makeup, so being able to clear up this issue will help me with that. I love your pretty face and how young you look. Hopefully, you can give me advice on what would be best for my skin. Thanks a lot!” ~ Shirley Navarro
A: Hi Shirley! Thanks for the great question! I know that so many women can relate to this particular issue.
There are 3 different ways you can deal with dark spots or what is called hyperpigmentation. This is a natural result of your skin being exposed to the sun.
1. The first step I would take would be to purchase over the counter products.
- There are so many options on the market today that contain retinol, which is a key ingredient in helping sun-damaged skin.
- When looking for a retinol product, start with a lower percentage, 1% being a good starting point.
- Use only in the evening, beginning with twice a week.
- See how your skin reacts over a few weeks. If all goes well you can increase to three times per week.
- A product that I have used and found incredibly effective is Drunk Elephant A-Passioni Retinol Cream.
- A little goes a long way with retinol and this product is no exception. Use only a pea size for your face. It is a bit expensive but since you use only a very small amount it will last for quite some time.
Not only have I used this but my husband has also. He’s been using it for over 4 months now and very dark spots he had on the side of his face have faded and mostly disappeared. The extra benefits of retinol are that it helps with fine lines and wrinkles.
2. If you feel that this is not working for you another option is to speak with your doctor or go to see a dermatologist.
- Talk with your doctor and try a prescription-strength retinol cream.
- Just be aware that when using any of these creams it’s a must that you wear sunscreen on your face at all times, even with over the counter products.
- Since you are trying to rid yourself of damaged skin, your skin cells will be turning over at a faster rate, thus exfoliating itself. That beautiful new skin will burn much faster if exposed to the sun, so don’t forget the sunscreen!
3. Your final option would be medical lasers.
- If all else fails this is a way to go but there are downsides to lasers that you should be aware of.
- First, treatments can be quite expensive.
- There can also be discomfort and some major downtime associated with lasers. But they do work!
- Look for a medical spa in your area to see what is offered. Make sure that they have good recommendations before making an appointment. Usually, they will have a website that you can check out to see reviews.
- Also, ask friends that have had laser treatments done. Do your homework to make sure that the person you choose is qualified and knows what they are doing.
I’ve had Fraxel laser done and while it took at least a week for my skin to heal and it was uncomfortable the results were incredible. No pain no gain as they say!
Hope this helps and let me know how you make out!
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN GLOWING WITH MRS. STAFFORD COLUMN:
Ask your questions in the comment section below for a chance to be featured in next month’s Glowing with Mrs. Stafford column. I will answer one question in detail each month and make sure to do all my research to give the most informed answer I can provide!
Since I started this blog I have received many compliments and questions on my skincare routine. Women have asked, “what is my secret” and honestly it’s a combination of multiple things. I use many different products, and tend to switch up my routine often. Staying out of the sun, and wearing sunscreen is a huge one. Finally, I have not been shy about the fact that I get Botox and filler. I even made a video of myself getting Botox injected which you can find on my Youtube channel. I have written some blog posts about the beauty products I use and routines based on the season or specific skin problems.
Glowing with Mrs. Stafford is my take on an advice column based around skincare. Each person has unique skin and their own issues they would like answered. Glowing with Mrs. Stafford is my idea of how to share my knowledge on this topic.
Basically, this is a place where all of you can ask questions about you’re personal skin issues. Ask me about certain beauty products you might want to try, or even about treatments such as lasers or Botox since I’ve done it all! All and any questions are welcome (concerning these topics).
We’re also running a giveaway to celebrate our monthly Glowing with Mrs. Stafford Advice column. I will pick one beauty product and one winner at the end of each month. All of the products will be bought with my own money, and products I have personally used and loved.
This month the giveaway is the BIODERMA Hydrabio Serum.
Bioderma’s Hydrabio Serum is for extremely dehydrated skin. This product was a lifesaver at the time I started using it! It just so happened that at the beginning of May, I underwent an unexpected surgery, which I will write about in a future post. I don’t know about you, but when I am under stress it shows directly through my skin. Therefore, my face became incredibly red and my skin began to peel. I think between stress and probably the effects of anesthesia and recovery, my skin was reacting to all of this. Honestly, my skin hadn’t been that damaged since I went through menopause.
So I started using the Hydrabio Serum, in the evening before going to bed. In just a few days the redness was gone and my skin began to heal. Needless to say, I was amazed because I had never had a product work so quickly before, and I’ve used a considerable range of products over the years. I began by using the serum every morning and night. Within a week my skin was back to normal! I didn’t have any adverse reactions and that’s saying something since my skin is very sensitive to new products. Going forward the Hydrabio Serum will be a staple in my skincare routine!
*Note: When I’m recommending any skincare item I will always test the product for at least 30 days, most times longer. I feel you need to see how the product works over time, the benefits and results, which in most cases does not happen with just one use.
Price Point – $26.90 1.33 OZ.
The giveaway will take place on social media, see below to learn how to enter.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN THE GLOWING WITH MRS. STAFFORD GIVEAWAY:
We are doing it both on Instagram and Facebook because I realize not everyone is on Instagram or vice versa. At the end of the month I will pick one winner. I will contact the winner through your DMs (direct messages) so keep an eye out!